I’m sure you’ve heard of eggless meatloaf recipes before, but did you know they really exist?
Eggs are a staple ingredient in meatloaf. They add moisture, flavor, and protein to the dish. But some people don’t eat them because they believe they are unhealthy or contain cholesterol.
Eggless meatloaf recipes are becoming more common, thanks to the rise of veganism. These recipes are usually healthier and lower in fat than regular meatloaf recipes. When making these dishes, it’s also important to avoid using artificial ingredients. This will help to keep your diet healthy.
There is no hard-and-fast rule for what constitutes an egg-free meatloaf recipe since every recipe has its own unique set of rules. However, most have similar ingredients like breadcrumbs, ground beef, veggie burgers, spices, seasonings, tomato paste, veggies, etc.
Can You Make Meatloaf Without Eggs?
Many people ask the question Can You Make Meatloaf Without Eggs? Yes, you can! There are many different types of meatloaf recipes that do not use eggs. One example would be a “no egg” meatloaf made with only breadcrumbs and spices. It doesn’t taste exactly like traditional meatloaf, but it still tastes good. You can serve this as an appetizer at a party or dinner, or even just eat it by yourself.
Read More: what does snake meat taste like
Cooking meatloaf in a glass pan step by step guide
For those who want to try out a vegan version of meatloaf, here is how to make one from scratch.
• 1 pound (450 g) ground beef
• 2 cups (500 mL) breadcrumbs
• ½ cup (125 mL) chopped onion
• ¼ cup (60 mL) ketchup
• ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons (60 mL) water
• Salt & pepper
• Cooking spray or oil
1. preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease/spray a baking sheet/pan.
2. In a large bowl combine all ingredients except salt and pepper. Mix well.
3. Place mixture into a loaf pan.
4. Bake at 350°F (180º C) for 30 minutes.
5. Turn heat down to 300°F (150º C) and bake another 20 to 25 minutes until cooked through.
6. Let cool completely before slicing.
7. Serve cold or reheat in the microwave if desired.
How long is meatloaf good for in the fridge?
Meatloaf should be refrigerated for up to 3 days. If stored longer, it may become dry. To prevent this, slice off pieces from the middle when needed and freeze the rest in smaller portions.
Read More: What does gamey meat taste like
Is a vegan meatloaf healthy or bad for you?
A lot of people say that a vegan meatloaf recipe is too bland or lacks flavor compared to a traditional recipe. While it does lack some essential elements like eggs and cheese, there is nothing wrong with eating a vegan meatloaf. The nutrition facts show that it contains plenty of plant-based nutrients like fiber and iron. On top of that, it’s a pretty easy dish to prepare. So, in the end, it’s definitely worth giving a vegan meatloaf a shot.
South Beach Diet Phase 1 turkey meatloaf recipe
This recipe is perfect if you want to follow South Beach Diet Phase I turkey meatloaf. Although the first three phases focus on whole foods, lean proteins, vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and low-fat dairy products, phase IV focuses on a wider variety of fats including fried food. Followers of this plan need to restrict foods containing saturated and trans fats, so this vegetarian turkey meatloaf recipe fits right in.
- 1½ pounds (700 g) of ground turkey breast
- 1 medium onion
- ½ red bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 ounces (120 g) of mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon (2 mL) dried rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon (1 mL) black pepper
- 2 teaspoons (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons (20 mL) soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon (20 mL) fresh parsley
- 1 egg white
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (175 C). Grease or line a 9×13 inch (23×33 cm) pan.
- In a large bowl mix together the ground chicken, onions, peppers, garlic, mushrooms, vegetable broth, rosemary, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, lemon juice and parsley. Form into a 10inch x 14inch (25cm x 36cm) loaf shape.
- In a small bowl beat the egg white until frothy. Brush over the meatloaf. Cook for 90 minutes or until done.
- Remove from the oven and let stand 5 minutes before slicing. Slice into 6 equal portions. Serve hot. Serves six.
Can you make meatloaves without bread crumbs?
You can use any type of bread crumb instead of plain old bread crumbs. Try adding herbs like sage, thyme, oregano, basil, or marjoram. You could also try using other types of cracker crumbs, such as graham cracker crumbs or panko breadcrumbs. These are usually found in the bakery section of your grocery store. Experiment!
What is Southern kissed meatloaf?
Southern Kissed Meatloaf was originally a specialty at The Big Buford Cafe in Macon, Georgia. They had just one employee, and his mother made all kinds of different comfort food dishes, including this delicious meatloaf. It features a sweet glaze poured directly onto the meatloaf while baking. For an extra kick, serve it with Sweet Potato Mash and Peas.
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) ketchup
- ¾ cup (180 mL) brown sugar
- ¼ cup (60 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) liquid smoke
- Mix together the ketchup, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, liquid smoke, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Combine the ground beef, oats, egg, cornmeal, cheddar cheese, and salt in a mixing bowl. Shape into 8 loaves about 4 inches (10 cm) long. Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Pour half of the ketchup mixture over each loaf and spread evenly. Bake for 30 minutes at 375 F (190 C), then reduce heat to 325 F (160 C) and bake another 25 minutes or until heated through and crusty on top. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour the remaining ketchup mixture over the tops of the meatloaves. Return to oven and continue cooking for 20 more minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to rest for 10 minutes.
- Serve warm topped with peaches and caramelized pecans. Serves eight.
French onion soup stuffed meatloaf
This recipe has been a favorite ever since my husband first tried it at the American Legion Post in Atlanta, GA. He loved the way everything blended together in the stuffing so much that he asked me to copy the recipe down. This isn’t really French onion soup but rather a hearty Italian-style baked meatloaf. I’ve added some additional ingredients to give it a little flavor punch and to add just a touch of sweetness. If you want to keep things light and healthy, omit the sausage, bacon, and jalapeno peppers.
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) butter or margarine
- ½ medium-sized yellow onion, finely chopped
- ½ medium-sized green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- ½ pound (225 g) bulk beef sausage, cooked
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons (5 mL) fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon (1 mL) dried oregano
- 2 cups (500 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces (225 g) sharp provolone cheese, cubed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 350F (180C). Spray a 9×13-inch (23cm x 33cm) pan with nonstick spray.
- Melt the butter in a skillet. Add the onions and saute until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, rosemary, and ½ tsp. salt, cover, and cook for 1 minute longer. Drain off any excess fat and transfer to a large bowl. Let stand until cooled slightly.
- Add the sausage, bell peppers, Parmesan cheese, provolone cheese, and seasonings to the onions; mix well. Crumble the ground beef into the bowl, adding a bit of salt and pepper if needed. Mix well and form into two loaves in the prepared dish.
- Whisk together the eggs, ½ tsp. salt, and ¼ tsp. pepper in a separate bowl. Spread the bread crumbs over the top of the loaves. Scatter the chives and sunflower seeds over the top and drizzle with tomato juice. Brush the tops with oil. Bake for 50 minutes. Sprinkle the bell peppers with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for an additional 30 minutes. Serve immediately with a side salad or steamed vegetables. Serves four.